Thanks to its historical traditions and magnificent nature, Volterra offers to visitors a really impressive heritage!
Starting from Etruscan Age up to 19° century, the town hosts a fortune of extraordinary multifaceted artistic and monumental works you will enjoy just walking through paved alleys in the very heart of the ancient village, but also visiting city museums.
The scenery around is intact, virgin and very picturesque, dominated by “balze” “biancane” and “calanchi”. Enjoy the particular, fairy atmosphere typical of an ancient village, whose quiet, hidden streets are rich in workshops where local craftsmen create precious alabaster objects.
Volterra Dome: this monument of Romanesque style was built in several times between XII and XIII century. The interior - renovated in 1800 - hosts some elements dating of late Renaissance period. The clock tower standing beside the church-front is an elegant construction of 1400.
San Giovanni Baptistry: built in the second half of 1200, the monument shows an octagonal basis whose walls appear decorated in white-green marbles, as usual in Romanesque architecture. The building is crowned by a dome.
Priors Palace: situated in the Priors Square, this building was constructed in 1246; in XIX° century a further crown element was added on the top of the tower. In the Room of Major Council guests can admire decorations and coats of arms dating 1800.
City Walls: originally constructed in Etruscan Age, they were modified in medieval period. You will see there the well-known “Porta all’Arco”, a splendid door originally belonging to the ancient wall belt created in the V° century b.C.
Fortezza Medicea: it’s composed by 2 fortifications joined by a wall curtain. The oldest fortress shows a tower having semi-elliptic basis; the so-called “Rocca Nuova”, gifted with an imposing castle, was built by will of Lorenzo de’ Medici.
Roman Theatre: the Roman Theatre was brought to light again in the 50’s, thanks to some archeological excavations in the area of Vallebuona. Its construction, carried out by the end of I° century b.C., was financed by the wealthy Volterran family of Caecina. The theatre was partially excavated inside the natural slope of a hill, as usually made for Greek theatres. By the end of III° century the theatre was abandoned, and next to the scene area they created a thermal plant. In medieval period the theatre wall surrounding the highest part of stands was embedded by the city walls (“summa cavea”).
Spring of Docciola: built around 1250, the fountain was traditionally used as a public lavatory. It’s composed by 2 imposing arches hosting a large rectangular basin. The door Porta of Docciola, standing in front of the fountain, was built approximately around the XV° century.
Etruscan Museum “Guarnacci”: hosts one of the most beautiful collections of etruscan art works.
Pinacoteca (art gallery) and Civic Museum: several precious paintings, among which the “Removal from Cross” by Rosso Fiorentino, the “Annunciation” and “Madonna and Child” by Luca Signorelli.
Diocesan Museum of Sacred Art: hosts masterpieces coming from the Cathedral and the countless churches of Diocese.
Palace Incontri – Viti: this palace is a museum-home containing works of art, pieces of furniture, candelabras in alabaster, ancient objects and many books, even rare.
Ecomuseo dell’Alabastro: exposition of ancient works and other from contemporary craftsmen. A craftsman workshop equipped with original tools has also been re-created.
LANDSCAPE AND TYPICAL AREAS
Parco Enrico Fiumi
Parco Enrico Fiumi
Porta San Felice
Piazzetta dei Fornelli
Zona dei laberinti/vicolo degli abbandonati
Piazza martiri della libertà
Via lungo le mura del mandorlo
Viale dei ponti
Balze di Volterra
Chiesa di San Giusto